Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Springfield Partners for Community Action's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides FREE income tax filing assistance to low-to-moderate income taxpayers, and to taxpayers who are disabled or speak limited English.
|VITA Volunteer J. Wellington, right, reviews Ronald Crump's tax return with him. Photo by Jan. R. Ziter. |
VITA helps working families take advantage of all of the tax credits available to them, including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), and education credits.
Volunteers from the community help prepare basic, current year tax returns for eligible taxpayers free of charge. To learn more about volunteering, click here.
Jan. 14, 2013: We are now making appointments for VITA tax filing services. Call (413) 263-6500 to make an appointment.
Want to help your organization's constituents take advantage of this service? Email VITA Coordinator Fredy Palacio or call him at 413-263-6500 x6564.
Click below to download a VITA program flyer.
VITA Kickoff: Jan. 25
Springfield Partners marked the start of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program season with a kickoff event on Jan. 25, 2013, which is National Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day.
This is our 11th year providing free tax filing services to low- to moderate-income residents of Hampden County.
Click here to see photos from the event.
|VITA 2012 By the Numbers|
- VITA volunteers prepared tax returns for 1,844 people
- These taxpayers realized $3.27 million in tax refunds
- VITA volunteers helped taxpayers claim $2.74 million in tax credits
- These taxpayers saved an estimated $461,000 by having Springfield Partners file their returns for free
- VITA volunteers donated a cumulative 1,638 hours of their time. Those volunteer hours carry an estimated value of $43,964
VITA services are FREE. During the January-April tax season, we provide:
- IRS-trained volunteers, who will prepare your basic Massachusetts or Connecticut state and federal tax returns
- Assurance that all tax credits available to you will be claimed, including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), the Child Tax Credit (CTC), and education credits
- Secure, fast filing by mail or electronically (e-File)
- Assistance for limited English speakers
VITA services are available to mid- to low-income; disabled; elderly; and non-English speaking residents of Hampden County. Click on the "Income Eligibility Guidelines" PDF below to see if you qualify.
For faster service, download and print the "Intake Form" below; fill it out and bring it with you to your tax appointment.
|Please Bring These Items to Your Appointment:|
Links in this section will open an IRS help page in a new window.
- Driver's license or Photo ID
- All W-2 forms
- Your spouse, if filing jointly
- Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for all household members
- Copy of the prior year's tax return
- 1099 HC: Health Insurance Information form
- All 1099 Forms
- 1099-G: Unemployment Benefits
- 1099-INT: Bank Interest
- 1099-R Pensions, Annuities, Retirement Plans
- Bank Account Number and/or checkbook, for direct deposit of refunds
|We will prepare basic state (MA & CT) and federal income tax returns, including these forms & schedules:|
- 1040A with Schedules 1, 2, 3, and EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit)
- 1040 with Schedules A, B, C-EZ, EITC, and R
- Form 1040V (Payment Voucher)
- Form 1040ES (Individual Estimated Tax Payment)
- Form 2441 (Child and Dependent Care Credit)
- Form 8863 (Educational Credits)
- Form 8812 (Additional Child Tax Credit)
|Sorry, we cannot prepare the following forms or schedules:|
- Schedule C (Profit or Loss From a Business)
- Schedule D (Complicated and Advanced Schedule D's)
- Schedule E (Rental Income)
- Form SS-5 (Request for a Social Security Number)
- Form 2106 (Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses)
- Form 3903 (Moving Expenses)
- Form 8606 (Nondeductible IRA)
- Form 8615 (Tax for Children Under 14 with Investment Income)
For more information about VITA, please contact:
Martin O'Connor, Income Tax Advocate
413-263-6500 ext. 6566
Springfield Partners would like to thank our program funders for their generous support of our VITA program.
This program is funded by the United Way of Pioneer Valley and MASSCAP, the Massachusetts Association for Community Action. Support is also provided by the Internal Revenue Service.
In 2013, we are partnering with our sister CAP agency, Valley Opportunity Council (VOC) to expand the impact of VITA services.
United Way website
|To open PDF files you may need to install Adobe Acrobat. Click
download it from the Adobe website.|